I love brunch, it’s an “anything goes” kinda meal! The morning/afternoon after when you slide out of bed around noon and find yourself with a sad emptiness somewhere below your heart that only eggs can fill. Plus, an added bonus: you can clean out your fridge at the same time and make room for more food! This weekend brunch recipe is inspired by leftover odds and ends. Take a gander and bring a spoon (and a couple bloody marys):
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1/3 can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/3 cup green chili salsa
- 4 large free run organic eggs
Pancakes (makes 6)
- 3 tbsp corn meal
- 1/2 cup cooked basmatti rice
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- salt + pepper to taste
- Heat a cast iron skillet on med/high, and a shallow pot on med.
- Combine pancake ingredients and form into patties. Add 3 tbsp of canola oil to your skillet and fry patties until golden brown – keep warm in an oven at its lowest setting.
- Get sauced! In case you didn’t do that last night, that is: Add 3tbsp of canola oil to your shallow pot. Throw in your onions and garlic and sautee for 1 min. Toss in your tomatoes, sauces and salsa now and let it bubble, reduce and thicken for about 8-10 min.
- Crack your eggs, evenly spaced into your pot and cover them with a lid. You don’t want to know what they are doing in there, but they need their privacy. Set a timer and leave them be for about 4 min. You want the whites of the eggs to be cooked and the yolk to just be starting to set up. Immediately remove from heat. Plate your Pancakes and top with eggs and your sauce.
- Smile, now your know what love is and that space just beneath your heart has been filled!