Cold days are upon us. No fighting them now. Why not sit back with a hot bowl of soup and enjoy the season wrapped in your finest fleece and feather down in front of a fire.
You can also retrofit this to a sensational summer soup with the selection of optional items.
Makes 4-6 servings
- 4 Large Sweet Bell Peppers
- 1 Large White Onion, chopped
- 1 Medium Carrot, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato, diced
- 800 ml Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Dried Coriander
- 1 can of Coconut Milk
- Optional (summer-ized) garnish with fresh diced avocado and coriander (cilantro)
- Halve and remove seeds from peppers. Roast on sheet of tinfoil on baking tray in oven, skin side up at 350′ for about 20 minutes (or until skin becomes blackened and wrinkled). I got impatient so I put them under the broiler for the last few min.
- Saute (in olive oil) roughly chopped onions, carrots, garlic cloves and diced potato in deep saucepan until softened (5-10 minutes).
- Reduce heat and add herbs mix. Cover pot and allow to roast in splash of water for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and allow to soften further.
- Remove peppers from oven and place in bowl covered with cling film for 10 minutes.
- Peel skins from peppers.
- Slice roughly and add to pot. Pour excess pepper juice from bowl into pot.
- Remove from heat and blend using hand blender till smooth.
- Add coconut milk and stir.
- Divide into bowls and serve with garnish items, if desired.