I was walking through my international grocery store and came across an unfamiliar vegetable. Most people would be cautious of strange vegetables. But like a child seeing a rabid animal I got excited and wanted to take it home! It sat in my fridge about a week before I got the courage to do something with it. I do not regret it! It may be ugly, but the celery root is welcome in my home any day.
- 3 slices of bacon cooked to a crisp and diced
- reserved drippings from bacon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups of celery root – peeled and cubed
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1 can peaches and cream corn, drained
- 2 cups of milk – rice, coconut or dairy, your choice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chilies
- Using your bacon drippings, add oil and onions and cook over med heat for 5 min
- Add celery root and broth and simmer until tender.
- Puree soup using immersion blender.
- Add corn, chilies, milk and salt and cook 10 min more
- Enjoy topped with BACON!